Go Team Davis!

Monday, January 21, 2013

 
Written by: Allison Olson
Davis, CA


In 2008, my life changed in ways I couldn’t possibly imagine. I got involved with my local Special Olympics team, Team Davis. What I didn’t know then was that Team Davis offered so much more than athletics to their participants and their volunteers.
Team Davis is a non-profit based in Davis, California that provides athletic, social, nutritional, and community outlets for people with disabilities.

There are many Special Olympics teams participating in many different sports throughout California. But Team Davis goes above and beyond the call of service for this often over-looked community.
 


I began my involvement by coaching track and field, preparing our athletes for the Special Olympics Summer Games. My involvement grew from there, as I began coaching everything I could, from soccer to golf to cross country to basketball. The more I was around our Team Davis members, the happier I was. I realized that I was getting more out of my camaraderie and friendship with the Team Davis athletes than they could possibly be getting from my coaching abilities. But my lack of coaching skills did not matter. Team Davis and their participants are the happiest, most capable, most caring, and most upbeat people in spite of their special needs. As the Team Davis motto states, “Seeing the ABILITY in disability.”
As I mentioned, Team Davis also offers more than just athletics. They have a quarterly dance and numerous other social opportunities. They have a team garden where they learn about nutrition and healthy eating. They participate in many community events and even partner with UC Davis on occasion.
Team Davis is such a huge part of me now, I can’t imagine life without it. I would encourage everyone to find their own “Team Davis.”
Start by looking up the local Special Olympics team or your city’s Alternative Recreation department. It will change your life and will mean the world to those participating.

No comments:

Post a Comment